Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Still No Answers

Over the last six months, Connor has gone through quite of few blood tests in order to figure out why his hemoglobin, hematocrit, ferritin, and iron saturation numbers were so low.  Fortunately, his hemoglobin and hematocrit levels have normalized with an increase of iron in his diet and a supplement, but his ferritin and iron saturation levels are still quite low.  This has lead his pediatrician to believe that he might have thalassemia, which is a genetic anemia.  We are now waiting for approval from his insurance to run this specific blood test.  The results from this test should hopefully give us some clear answers and some direction as to what steps should be taken next.

Joel, who is now 11 weeks old, just had his blood tests done for Mission Aviation Fellowship's physical exam (which is the exam that first revealed Connor's anemia).  His results show that he has some similar issues that Connor has, though his numbers aren't quite so low yet. 

As their mom, I'm not only tired of seeing my sweet boys get poked with needles but not having clear answers as to what is wrong (if anything) honestly makes me anxious and frustrated.  In my anxiety and frustration this week, I was convicted that I was not fully trusting God.  I was not trusting the Great Physician, who created my boys, loves my boys, cares for my boys, and knows what is best for my boys.  Oh how thankful I am for His forgiveness and His Holy Spirit who not only corrects me but then strengthens me to trust God all the more.

Would you join us in prayer?

- That we would trust God with the boys' health
- That we would be able to get clear answers soon
- That we would have wisdom as we seek out a second opinion

6 comments:

  1. Jodie, thank you for sharing about this and allowing us to pray for you all. Health concerns are so troubling ... and with our kids ... oh boy. Love and prayers to you. (ps-where are you stationed right now? Are you looking for second opinions stateside or abroad?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your prayers, Anna! We are still in the states right now, so we will seek a second opinion here. We receive our overseas assignment with Mission Aviation Fellowship in January.

      Delete
  2. Jeremy and Jodie,
    We've been through some significant health challenges, first with my nephew and then with our son, Caleb. I know the journey can be challenging, especially as you wait for answers. We will be praying for all of you during this stretch, and we trust that God will do a mighty work! Keep your eyes on Him, your trust in Him, and then be ready to be amazed at what God teaches you through all of this. We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete